18th Engineer Brigade
The 18th Engineer Brigade was formed July 29, 1921, as the 347th Engineers (General Service) in the Organized Reserves. It was ordered into active military service May 6, 1942, at Camp Claiborne, La., and redesignated the 347th Engineer General Service Regiment.
For its service in Normandy, northern France, the Rhineland and Central Europe during World War II, the unit received the Meritorious Unit Commendation. After the war, it was deactivated in Germany, July 16, 1965, it was activated at Fort Bragg, N.C., and prepared for deployment to Vietnam. An advanced party of the brigade arrived in the Republic of Vietnam on Sept. 3, 1965, and became operational two weeks later.
Many of the Brigade's projects stand out as exceptional engineering feats. Among them was the contruction of the critical Hai Van Pass, a job attempted by many but accomplished by the 18th Brigade, and a storage area in Cam Ranh Bay, two years in construction and enclosing 191,700 square feet.
The brigade has also been actively engaged in road building and land clearing, as well as numerous civic action projects.
The accomplishments of the 18th Engineer Brigade have not only contributed significantly to the success of combat forces in Military Regions 1 and 2 but have provided valuable assets to the future development and growth of South Vietnam.